Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

My Dog Ate a Battery! What happens if a dog eats a battery?

My Dog Ate a Battery! What happens if a dog eats a battery?

We all know that while our dogs can usually be on their best behavior, there will be times that they get bored or just plain rebellious and chew on things that they shouldn't. Unfortunately, the items that they choose to eat may include batteries which can be toxic to dogs. Our Oceanside vets talk about what happens if your dog ate a battery and what steps you should take if you see them eat one.

Your Dog Ate a Battery, Now What?

Dogs have a bad habit of eating first and thinking later. They don't eat batteries because they taste good, but rather because they're interesting and unusual to dogs, and dogs are curious creatures.

In addition, some breeds of dogs, such as Labradors, just love to eat and chew on anything and everything.

The chances of dogs eating or chewing batteries are also reasonably high because many household items like remote controls, watches, toys, hearing aids, and smoke alarms contain them.

Does The Type of Battery Change the Effect on Your Dog?

The most common batteries ingested by dogs are alkaline dry cell batteries (e.g., 9-volt, D, C, AA, AAA) or button/disc batteries. Each type of battery comes with different issues if chewed or swallowed by a dog.

Standard Alkaline Batteries

When swallowed, alkaline batteries can cause irritation or obstruction in the dog's digestive tract. When chewed, they can also cause some chemical burns in their mouth.

The majority of household alkaline batteries contain potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide. When these compounds come into contact with the dog's internal tissues, liquefaction necrosis will eventually occur, causing deeply penetrating ulcers.

Disc Batteries

Disc-shaped or button batteries can allow an electric current to pass to the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract. This may result in a condition called current-induced necrosis, which can cause perforation of the mouth, esophagus, stomach or small intestine.

Lithium button batteries are the most dangerous. Just one 3-volt battery can result in severe necrosis to the esophagus or gastrointestinal tract within 15 to 30 minutes.

Heavy Metals

Certain batteries contain heavy metals (like zinc, mercury, lead, cobalt, nickel or cadmium). When these types of batteries are ingested, heavy metal toxicity can occur. This is rare and usually only happens if the battery remains in the gastrointestinal tract for more than 2 or 3 days.

Treatment When Your Dog Eats a Battery

Whatever type of battery your dog eats, it's essential that you seek veterinary attention immediately.

IMPORTANT: If you suspect your dog has swallowed a battery, do not try to Induce vomiting. Vomiting may cause corrosive injury to the esophagus and oropharynx.

The vet will perform a thorough oral exam and physical exam, and flush and lavage the mouth thoroughly. X-rays will be taken to look for the presence of the battery in the stomach.

To prevent corrosive injury, the battery should be removed promptly. The use of endoscopy or surgery may be necessary.

Once the battery is removed, follow-up treatment may include anti-ulcer medication and a bland or high-fiber diet.


To prevent your dog from chewing or eating batteries in the first place, keep battery packages, remote controls, household appliances and toys that contain batteries out of reach in secured cupboards or drawers.

Allow your dog to play with toys that contain batteries only under careful supervision, and remove the battery right away if the dog “kills” the toy. Disposing of destroyed toys is also usually a good idea to prevent choking.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

If you discover that your dog was chewing on household items and think your dog may have swallowed a battery, contact our Oceanside vets right away.

Specialty Vets at Surfside Animal Hospital

New Patients Welcome

Surfside Animal Hospital is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of Oceanside companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

Book Online (760) 891-5522